Tuesday, July 9, 2013

To Ma'am, With Love

“But how do you thank someone who has taken you from crayons to perfume?"
(A line from To Sir, With Love)

When you work at the same school for a long time, its hard not to get attached to the people there.  You bond with people.  You laugh, you cry and you form support systems.  Or, as in the case of my school, create a fun-loving, slightly dysfunctional "family".
I just completed year 13 at my school.  I’ve seen a lot of people come and go.  Even though we may not always admit it, most of us get a little misty-eyed when we see that last bus pull out of the parking lot on the last day of school. 
During those last days of school and into the summer, we also see adults taking that last ride out of the parking lot.  Beginning around May, we start speculating about who won’t be returning.  Some people relocate or transfer. Others retire and get that much deserved rest.  And, unfortunately, we have to sometimes deal with the passing of a “family” member.  In my tenure, I’ve experienced all of those scenarios. 
            As a young child, I became close to my teachers.  I hated to see the summer come around because I would have to be away from the support system that I had developed.  Even now, I have a support system in place that has helped me both professionally and personally.  So, when I heard that one of those supports was moving on, it was a little tough to swallow.  Intellectually, I certainly understand her reasons for moving on.  Knowing that doesn’t make it sting any less.  I really hate that this transition is happening during the summer.  Our “family” won’t have a chance to gather and send her on to her next adventure in style.  But, I’m sure we’ll each reach out and say good-bye in our own way.
            My way of saying good-bye is by not doing so. 
            Good-bye is so final… a way of closing a door.  Neither she nor I is closing a door.  She is simply moving hers.  Our doors will always remain open.  So, there will be no good-bye. 
            I am so much better as a professional and a person because of her influence.  She believed in me and supported me in some very dark days.  Her leadership has helped me improve my craft.  Her guidance has helped me to improve myself. 
            It’s hard to come up with an appropriate show of gratitude for all that has happened in the past 5 years so I will keep it sweet and simple.
            Thank you…

You're not a Sir, but the message is still the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment