Sunday, March 2, 2014

Slice of Life - Day 2


            As much as I try not to, I begin to feel myself tense up by this time on Sunday.  In a couple of hours, I’ll pack my lunch and lay out my clothes for tomorrow.  I’ll be in bed by 10:00 and fall asleep hoping that the coming week will go without incident.
            It hasn’t always been this way.  We’ve had moments in the past.  After all, we are a middle school so hormonally driven drama moments are common.  However, this year, our moments are driven by certain staff members…professionals who should know better.  A once peppy staff has been reduced to a group of droopy-shouldered individuals. 
            The worst part of this is that we don’t know what to do to fix things.  Do we step outside of our “family” and ask for help?  Even adults don’t want to be known as snitches especially now that we’ve lost tenure. 
            On the other hand, we have to consider that we have three months of school left and many are already at their breaking point.  When spring fever hits the kids, everyone needs to be on top of their game. 
Tired, stressed adults + restless pre-teens/new teens = potential disaster


       Dare I make myself the sacrificial lamb and call foul on what’s going on in the building?  Somebody needs to stand up for us.

6 comments:

  1. tough one! I began wk in anew building. Not middle, but preschool. The atmosphere is dismal at be stand I would love to figure out how to fix it, but also would like a job in district next year :-) hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really tough position to be in. I have a similar situation in which I am stuck trying to calm down students who have been treated unfairly by other teachers. My 8th graders need to be talked down from their anger regularly. Middle schoolers are all about the drama. Good luck with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the situation calls for help is it considered snitching? Lots to think about here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this. I want to believe that things will get better, that we will wake up one morning and this nightmare will have been just a bad dream. All my best for a better Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an awful predicament. When I have been faced with similar situations I have tried to refocus each day on the reason I teach, my students. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't sound like you have a happy work environment. Isn't it amazing how much power one person can have to bring down an organization? Why?

    ReplyDelete